Saturday, November 7, 2009

The King Of Cool

Marge Simpson: Ok Homer, I want you to take this test, to see exactly how much you actually know about Bart.
Homer: Oooooaaaahhhhhh.......
Marge: Here's the first question. Who's your son's hero.......
Homer: STEVE McQUEEN!!!!!!!!
Marge: Oh Homie, that's YOUR hero....

Ever wake up in the morning, with some random song playing in your head, and it sticks with you for the rest of the day? I know you have. Yesterday morning, I woke up with The Windmills Of Your Mind playing over, and over as I went thru my day. I also kept thinking about what was important about Nov. 7th, and what was it I was forgetting I needed to do tomorrow.

Well, I was listening to the news this morning, and the newscaster mentioned that today was the anniversary of Steve McQueen's death, 29 years ago, in Juarez, Mexico. Yesterday all made sense to me now. The Windmills Of Your Mind was the movie theme to McQueen's movie The Thomas Crown Affair, and what I was forgetting to do was to write this post in my blog last night.Weird, huh?

Steve McQueen, Homer Simpson's hero, and one of mine. The King of Cool forever. I read a little while ago, that Brad Pitt "....was almost ready" to ink a deal to play McQueen in the upcoming biopic of his film life, with a minor inclusion of McQueen's women, cars, bikes, and consumption of illegal substances.

The operative word here is "play". Brad Pitt wouldn't even make an ingrown hair on Steve McQueen's cheek.
The King is dead, long live the king.......
7/24/30 - 11/7/80

3 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

My daughter goes to school down the street from where Steve McQueen was born, St Francis Hospital in Beech Grove, IN. Beech Grove is a small town on the SE side of Indianapolis. His mother was from there. He spent time there on and off as a kid. Yet, there is nothing to denote the town as his birthplace, and the fact isnt widely known among the citizens. It's a real shame. Long Live McQueen!

mindpill said...

have not looked at anything on my computer for a couple weeks so i clicked to you for entertainment and not to my surprise....i was entertained... as usual. thanks rich.

brad said...

This year at the Davenport AMCA swap, I was able to spend time actually talking with the venders. It was great. These two older guys were talking about the old days at Dport, and how Steve McQueen always came to the swap, camped on the grounds, and sat around the campfire at nite shooting the shit with everybody. They said later on reporters learned he came there and he would disguise himself so he and everyone else wouldn't be bothered by them. Miss them old days. brad